Wednesday, August 22, 2012

O'Rourke: I'll keep Shuffling, thank you - San Antonio Express

While most of my audiophile and super nerdy friends eagerly await the next big announcement from Apple, I go about my daily life using what they all consider to be low rent and dated technology. Yep, in the world of faster, bigger and sleeker I still listen to my music on an iPod Shuffle.

The second-generation Shuffle wasn't originally mine. It was my youngest daughter's. That is why it is pink and has the engraving "Best. Daughter. Ever." on the back. We gave it to her for Christmas several years ago. When she received an iPod Touch a few Christmases later (same engraving), I asked her if I could use it. Barely looking up from her new toy, she told me I could. It's been mine ever since.

I reprogrammed it with music I enjoy. Out went the Barney, Arthur and Wiggles songs, and in went The Dropkick Murphys, The Pogues and Bruce Springsteen. It was awesome. Even with all my favorites I still had room for more. I filled that sucker up. All 2 gigabytes' worth.

The pink iPod shuffle and I go everywhere together. It is the perfect music device for when I walk the dog, do yard work or work in the office. It holds a charge for a long time and does exactly what iPods are supposed to do: play music.

I had a fancier iPod for a while, but I found it to be too much of a distraction. Too many decisions came with it. Should I play a game, watch a movie, surf the Internet, read a book or listen to music? I like my pink iPod Shuffle because there is only one choice: listen to music or not.

Though it may seem odd to use the term "minimalist" when referring to a piece of technology that only NASA could have created when I was a kid, that is exactly the appeal of the littlest iPod. The Shuffle is the Zen of iPods. It just "is."

I don't see many other people my age with an iPod Shuffle. They all seem to have the fancier iPods or listen to music on their iPhones. I have heard a few sarcastic comments from people when they see my pink device clipped to my lapel. A coworker recently eyed my Shuffle and said, "They make bigger ones, you know?" Yeah, I know. Last week a flight attendant asked me to turn it off for take-off and then added, "That is so cute!" I simply thanked her. I am all in favor of being called cute by a flight attendant.

Over the years, there have been rumors that Apple might discontinue its smallest and least expensive iPod. I hope this isn't true. Of all the amazing products the company has created, I like the simplest one the best. I will continue to wear my pink iPod with pride and try and live up to the engraving on the back. I will truly try to be the best daughter ever.

Michael O'Rourke is pretty in pink on Thursdays and Saturdays in S.A. Life. Email: Ourhackmoliere@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment